Do you want to know how to play micro stakes poker like a pro? This guide shows you why beating micro stakes poker is possible if you follow the right strategy tips.
Most articles about micro stakes poker are either too long and too complicated. They focus on listing every tiny detail about micro stakes poker instead of the bits that actually matter.
Even worse, because they are written by so-so players, they contain a lot of myths and mistakes that will not help you to win at micro stakes poker.
So today, we’re going to take a different approach and talk about micro stakes poker strategy in a different way.
Rather than listing 200+ useless factors that may (or may not) influence your results at the table, we’ll examine the micro stakes poker strategy tips that most deserve your attention.
On this PokerNews guide to micro stakes poker, you’ll find:
- What is micro stakes poker
- Who should play micro stakes poker games
- Pros and cons of micro stakes poker
- What are the best micro stakes poker sites
- How the right strategy can help you beat micro stakes
- and lots more
What is Micro Stakes Poker?
Imagine you want to play poker games online but you don’t have a lot of experience yet and you don’t want to lose too much money at the table.
Your first thought might be to browse through the cheapest games and find something that isn’t too expensive to play. That’s micro stakes poker.
Players use the term ‘micro stakes to indicate poker games with the lowest buy-ins. Typical micro stakes poker games include $0.01/$0.02 no-limit Texas hold’em cash games.
Most micro stakes poker games have a buy-in fee of less than $25.
Pros and Cons of the Micro Stakes in Poker
Ah, the micro stakes. The limits where you can play poker online for as little as a couple of bucks.
The limits where million-dollar poker dreams are born!
Micro stakes poker games are the perfect choice to play your first poker games for real money. They are inexpensive and you get always a lot of action.
But micro stakes poker isn’t perfect, either. The low buy-ins attract a very specific type of players — and that’s not one that everyone love.
- Cost. Micro stakes are the most affordable games in poker. If you can’t spend too much money on your poker games, these are the ones for you.
- Level. Pros don’t play at the micro stakes, so you are relatively safe. You can use micro stakes poker games as a way to hone your poker skills and perfect your strategy.
- Bankroll. You don’t need to have thousands of dollars to play for a couple of hours. A $25 buy-in entry fee goes a long way in micro stakes poker.
- Level. Lots of beginners and recreational players can make the action a little unpredictable. Be prepared to see a lot of donk bets and random calls.
- Cash wins. These aren’t the games to win big. Low risks mean low rewards.
- The sites. Some of the sites that offer ‘penny poker games’ aren’t great. Those that focus only on low stakes cash games tend to have a very poor choice.
Who Should Play Micro Stakes Poker Games
Playing at the lowest stakes is a great opportunity if you want to learn how to play poker in a competitive environment.
Choosing the micro stakes over the free poker games online has multiple advantages. With a buy-in of only $1 or $2, you get the chance to sit at the $0.01/$0.02 NL hold’em tables and play with real players.
Although your opponents won’t be the best poker players in the world and their micro stakes poker strategy might not be impeccable, the money-factor make them think a lot more about the way they play.
This type of competition is perfect to hone your poker skills and learn all the tips and tricks you need to move to the higher levels.
Compared to poker freerolls, micro stakes are a much better way to learn the game and become a better poker player.
You might be playing only for a couple of dollars, but that doesn’t mean the game isn’t real. All players take micro stakes poker seriously and everyone you find at the table is there to win something.
Best Micro Stakes Poker Sites
Most of the largest online poker sites include some low stakes online poker games in their offer, but that doesn’t mean you can play poker for pennies just about anywhere.
Picking the right site to play small stakes poker games involves more than just looking at the buy-ins. You want to know where you find the easiest games and what bonuses are compatible with the lowest buy-ins.
Even more, you need a site where there are enough players playing low stakes online poker games. Because there’s nothing worse than to sit at a cash game table to just…wait for someone to show up.